Saturday, January 27, 2007

A trip to the ER

You'll have to excuse this blog if it doesn't make sense. We were in the ER all night and I have not yet slept. Yesterday Grant threw up 5 of his feedings and slept most of the day. (Those of you who have met him know that he is usually very alert during the day.) He was also coughing a lot and his eyes looked glassy. Needless to say, he wasn't behaving normally. We were worried about possible dehydration and thought the cough might indicate an infection. So, after consulting with our pediatrician and a cardiologist at U of M, we took him to Beaumont, just to be safe. The conclusion was that Grant was a bit dehydrated, so they gave him fluid through an iv. He then kept his most of his next feeding down, so they let us go home.

While Grant was getting checked out I also ended up in the ER. I have been getting hives/rash on my hands for the last couple of days and while at the hospital it got really bad and the nurse suggested I get it checked out, as long as we were just sitting around waiting for Grant's blood work to come back. The conclusion: I am allergic to Germ-X hand sanitizer! I use it a hundred times a day to make sure I am not spreading anything to Grant and had been using it like crazy while we were sitting in the ER. So, I got a steroid and some topical cream and I should be better soon. I guess I'll have to go back to the old fashioned hand washing.

My sweet sister-in-law, Jill, is on her way down from Midland to watch Grant for the day so I can get some sleep. Jim is giving the talk at our church this weekend, so he's pretty tied up preparing his message.

It continues to be an adventure at the Niedzinski household. Thanks for continuing to pray for us, bring us meals etc. We couldn't do it without you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon and Jim,
Just want you to know we've been following your blog and are joining you and all your wonderful friends and church family in prayer for your dear little guy. The prayer warriors at The Monroe Vineyard Church will be lifting all of you up. God must have quite a call on Grant's life. Clearly he is a fighter! Bless you all heaps!

With love,
Paula & Vic

Faireypost said...

Shannon

Hope you have managed to get some sleep, continuing to send our love to you all across the Atlantic!

With love
Maxine

Anonymous said...

Hi Folks: Your message made perfect sence! We will keep praying unceasingly! Beaumont is a great hospital, maybe they also have some advice?
Love & Blessings, Roger & Sheila

Jessica said...

We continue to pray for you both and your sweet baby boy.

Kurt, Jessica and Ava Smith