Wednesday, February 14, 2007

GI update

We just got back from the GI doctor. The good news is that Grant's throat seems to be healing and he doesn't scream from pain when formula goes down. The reason we know this is because when we use a syringe to shoot the formula down he doesn't cry. He actually licks his lips sometimes.

The bad news is that Grant continues to scream when we try to put a bottle in his mouth. He still associates it with pain. Unfortunately, he has started to associate me with pain as well and gets unhappy when I come near him because he knows I am going to try to feed him. This is extremely hard for me emotionally. Thankfully, some friends are going to come today to help try to feed Grant.

The only way he's really eating much by now is with a syringe. Sometimes it works, other times he just spits it back out. Regardless, it is a long process to even get a little bit down. We have an occupational therapist coming tomorrow to try to work with Grant to get him to like the bottle again. I'm not sure how it works, but that's her job.

So, please pray:
1. That Grant starts to like the bottle
2. That Grant starts to like me again
3. That Grant does not get dehyrated as we feed him by syringe, little by little

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon,

I sent an email to your gmail account. I can help today.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, Betty Bauerle here! I had a thought last night and even tho my situation is totally different than yours, here it is. I was a foster parent and got a baby that was born drug addicted and was not sucking when I got her at three weeks. We lovingly swaddled her in her blanket (wrap them in the blanket arms inside) and gently fed the bottle. She gave up sucking very quickly, we we would stroke her cheek each time she stopped to get her going again.

Stacy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Shannon,

My co-worker said that in a historical novel, before bottles and fake nipples, they would soak a cloth in milk and let the baby suck that. Might be worth a try.

I'm praying.

Randy

Anonymous said...

Your baby loves you, he just doesn't like the bottle...YET! I'm still praying for all of you!
Julie W.

Anonymous said...

Shannon and Jim,
The post about swaddling brought back memories of me doing that with both Kathryn and Brian. My situations were different that yours and Betty's---but the idea is the same.

Swaddling (I read somewhere) is a very calming and soothing environment for a baby. Wrap Grant's arms and legs firmly, but not tightly, against his body in a receiving blanket. Once he feels soothed/secure, he will become calm and then pay attention to you. It even worked for me when the kids were older and I just held their whole body tightly against me. It might be another tool in your toolbox that he may respond to.

Blessings,
Janet

Caren Hunter said...

I am just around the corner. If you need help feeding, cleaning, just someone to chat with I would love to come by. Everytime I drive past your house I pray for you and Grant.

- Caren Hunter

Anonymous said...

Hi Dear ones,
Shannon, The hard part about LOVE is when WE hurt...the person we LOVE most....gets the brunt of it...It's going to be allright...
Grant LOVES you ....and you and Jim are the only ones he can tell...he hurts....So now we come before the Lord....to soothe our weary and suffering parents and baby....and HE WILL....
No doubt about it...HE WILL...
Get into the Word...so the Holy Spirit can come and Comfort....
I pray for some R & R for all of you...some Valentine Love...You are so precious in His sight and ours..
Blessings,
Sheila and Rog

Anonymous said...

this must be so hard for you guys. just know that grant loves you, he just doesn't like the bottle right now. as he grows up the only thing he will know and remember is how much his mommy and daddy loved him and how much they did to make sure he was healthy.

Anonymous said...

Fear not, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed. I am YOUR God. I will STRENGTHEN you; I will HELP you; I will UPHOLD you with my victorious right hand.

Isaiah 41:10 TLB

Newmans said...

I'm sean and andi's nephew... I'm praying for Grant and will continue to do so. Thank you for being so clear on what to pray for. I came accross this verse the other day and it hit pretty hard, "For we have no power to facr this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you" (2 Chron 20:12). I thought I'd pass it on. God bless you guys.