Thursday, February 15, 2007

The syringe game

I feel more hopeful today. Yesterday God sent friends and nurses to help me when I was most discouraged and felt like I couldn't do this any longer. But, we are getting the hang of feeding Grant with the syringe and he actually likes it. He kind of thinks it is a game. We shake a little toy over his head, then he smiles, then we squirt a drop into his mouth. It does take a long time, but at least he's getting his calories. (Still only 60 cc's, when he should get 85, but he's not dehydrated.) It is just a temporary solution because we can't start up 2 of his meds again until he can eat more. The occupational therapist should arrive soon and will have some other ideas for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon,
I wanted you to know that you have been on my heart lately. I have been reading your blog daily and praying along with it. You are such an AMAZING Mom already, and Grant is only 2 months old! He is very blessed to have you. Keep up the hard work, the rewards will follow in smiles and coos.
With love,
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon and Jim and Baby Grant,
What a team! Remember the Andy Griffith Show where Opie accidently hit the Mother bird with his slingshot and he fed the babies with an eye dropper until they were able to eat worms! Whatever works!
It's a hard road you are on...but remember this is "only a season" and you are becoming strong in ways you don't even know...
When help comes...take a nap...
Love,
Sheila and Rog