Thursday, July 24, 2008

EKG

Things went great today at U of M. They decided not to do a sedated echo or chest x-rays at this point. Grant will get chest x-rays in the early fall and if all continues to go well they will wait to do an echo for another year. They are hoping by then he'll be old enough to sit still and not need the sedation.

They did check his oxygen saturation levels (99%, which is great) and did an EKG. They EKG looked excellent. Grant had to sit very still for his EKG for a significant length of time. Grandma sang and danced for him while I sat with him on the exam table and rubbed his hand. I really didn't know he was capable of sitting still for that long. I was so proud of him.

He didn't really want to sit still while the two doctors examined him. By that time we'd been in a small space for too long. At one point he looked at the cardiologist and said "all done. bye-bye. home." Then he proceeded to walk to the door, opened it and left. I finished the rest of the visit with the doctor while Grant pushed his stroller around the halls of the cardiac wing.

It was so nice to have such a brief visit to the hospital. Grant's cardiologist, Dr.Cotts, said that at this point the statistical chance that something could go wrong with his heart is small. That is why he wants to wait to do the echo when Grant can be awake. As far as the lungs go, we have a few more months until we'll know more.

Dr.Cotts wants to do an echo on baby girl a couple of weeks after she is born just to be sure her heart looks good. I hit 37 weeks this week and am ready to meet her!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon and Jim,
Yea!!! I think I would have been right behind Grant as he said bye-bye and left the room.
God bless,
Janet

Anonymous said...

Whooooohoooooo!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!
I am sooo happy that your sweet baby girl will be getting an echo on her heart!!!!!!! I have been worrying that they weren't going to, but wow!! That really made my day!!
What a big boy for Grant to sit still! Take care!
Love, the Caldwell Crew

Shannon said...

That is such great news!!
Thanks for keeping us updated. I think it is so funny that Grant decided when his appointment was over :) So cute!